Become Eligible to Sell Flood Insurance

Any licensed property and casualty insurance agent can sell National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) flood insurance.

To initially sell flood insurance, most states require a minimum amount of flood insurance training. Review the list of requirements and be sure to check with your Department of Insurance to determine what the latest requirements are for your state.

Two ways to write flood insurance

Depending on your affiliation and preference, there are two ways to write flood insurance thru the NFIP:

Insurance agents may contract with one of the more than 60 private insurance companies who have signed on with FEMA to participate in the Write Your Own (WYO) Program.

The WYO Program allows participating property and casualty insurance companies to write and service flood insurance policies in their own names.

The companies receive an expense allowance for policies written and claims processed, while the federal government retains responsibility for underwriting losses. The WYO Program operates as part of the NFIP and is subject to its rules and regulations.

Icon indicating more information
NFIP agent training courses

The NFIP offers online training courses for insurance agents as part of the FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Independent Study Program. See an overview of the agent training courses.

Professional development for agents

If you’re looking to continue your professional development as a flood insurance agent, the NFIP has identified the following opportunities:

State Training and Education

Review your state’s published requirements for flood insurance agents. State departments of insurance have established training requirements for insurance agents who sell and service flood insurance under the NFIP.

WYO Bulletins

Stay up to date on the latest program changes or offerings by bookmarking the NFIP Services WYO Bulletins.

NFIP Email Updates

Sign up for emails from the NFIP’s Marketing & Outreach Branch for the latest from the program, including the latest marketing materials and campaigns.

Associate in National Flood Insurance (ANFI™)

Earn a designation that reinforces the technical and practical knowledge and skills you need to confidently and accurately handle all aspects of flood insurance coverage. (FEMA does not endorse any non-profit or other entity but provides links to the Institutes as a convenience to the public).