Writing a Flood Insurance Policy

After working with clients to learn more about their needs, it’s time to write their flood insurance policy.

Your clients trust you to keep them informed about the protection they need and to have the technical knowledge necessary to accurately sell and service flood insurance.

The top two Errors and Omissions (E&O) pitfalls are not offering coverage and not offering the right amount of coverage. As an insurance agent, you have a responsibility to inform your client about all their risks and what coverage is available, including the risk of flooding. Otherwise, your client may hold you accountable for their flood loss.

letter i inside of bubble floating over water

Agents looking to brush up on flood insurance basics, including writing a policy, are encouraged to sign up for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) agent training courses.

The resources below can help you protect your clients while protecting and growing your business.

Resources for writing a policy

house submerged in water

Flood Insurance Manual

The Flood Insurance Manual outlines the general rules, eligibility, and application guidelines to write and rate a flood insurance policy.

image of hand writing with pen

Elevation Certificate

The Elevation Certificate is an important document for helping determine rates and potentially lowering policy costs for properties in high-risk areas.

Image depicting a microphone and a blurry background

NFIP Services

Visit NFIP Services for the latest information from the program, including information about trainings and updates to the Flood Insurance and Claims Manuals.

Flood insurance policy forms

The NFIP offers three flood insurance policy forms. These forms provide policyholders with a description of their coverage and other important policy information.

hand writing with pen

Dwelling Policy Form

Issued to homeowners, renters, and condominium unit-owners.

hand writing with pen

General Property Policy Form

Typically issued to owners or lessees of non-residential buildings.

hand writing with pen

Residential Condominium Building Association Policy (RCBAP) Form

Issued to residential condominium associations on behalf of association and unit owners.