Become Eligible to Sell Flood Insurance

Any licensed property and casualty insurance agent can sell National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) flood insurance.

To initially sell flood insurance, most states require a minimum amount of flood insurance training. Review the list of requirements and be sure to check with your Department of Insurance to determine what the latest requirements are for your state.

Insurance agents may contract with one of the 63 private insurance companies who have signed on with FEMA to participate in the Write Your Own (WYO) Program.

Insurance agents may also contract to write directly with FEMA and the NFIP by signing up to write with NFIP Direct. Agents can contact NFIP Direct at 1-800-638-6620.

Icon indicating more information

Today there are about 600,000 licensed P&C agents across the country.

The Write Your Own (WYO) program

The WYO Program allows participating property and casualty insurance companies to write and service flood insurance policies in their own names. The companies receive an expense allowance for policies written and claims processed, while the federal government retains responsibility for underwriting losses. The WYO Program operates as part of the NFIP and is subject to its rules and regulations.

The goals of the WYO Program are to:

  • Increase the number and geographic distribution of NFIP policies;
  • Improve service to NFIP policyholders through the knowledge and expertise of WYO agents; and
  • Provide the insurance industry with direct operating experience with flood insurance.

Learn if your insurance company is one of the 63 participating WYOs and stay up-to-date by reading the WYO Bulletins.

NFIP agent training courses

The NFIP offers online training courses for insurance agents as part of the FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Independent Study Program.

Agent training courses include:

  • The Basic Agent Tutorial (IS-1101)
  • Increased Cost of Compliance (IS-1100.a)
  • EC Made Easy: Elevation Certificate Overview (IS-1105)
  • Insuring Condominiums (IS-1108)
  • Writing Commercial Exposures (IS-1110)
  • Understanding Basement Coverage (IS-1109.a)
  • Coastal Barrier Resources Act (IS-1113)

EMI courses allow agents round-the-clock access to trainings from their personal or business computer. Interested agents are encouraged to sign up today.

Note, these courses are not approved for any continuing education credit by any state Department of Insurance.

Professional development for agents

If you’re looking to continue your professional development as a flood insurance agent, the NFIP has identified the following opportunities:

WYO Bulletins

Stay up to date on the latest program changes or offerings by bookmarking the NFIP Services WYO Bulletins.

Associate in National Flood Insurance (ANFI™)

Earn a designation that reinforces the technical and practical knowledge and skills you need to confidently and accurately handle all aspects of flood insurance coverage. (FEMA does not endorse any non-profit or other entity, but provides links to the Institutes as a convenience to the public).

State Training and Education

Review your state’s published requirements for flood insurance agents. State departments of insurance have established training requirements for insurance agents who sell and service flood insurance under the NFIP.

NFIP Email Updates

Sign up for emails from the NFIP’s Marketing & Outreach Branch for the latest from the program, including the latest marketing materials and campaigns.